I can make you like brussel sprouts. I can make you want them all the time, even for your birthday. It can be done. They’re not bitter and they’re not stinky (FRIENDS reference? always). The secret? Caramelized to a wonderful color and at the last second hit with a splash of balsamic vinegar. You have to have patience though but good things come to those who wait.
1. Cut brussel sprouts in half longways
2. Heat olive oil to medium heat
3. Place brussel sprouts cut side down and cook until they get a nice nutty brown color
4. The interesting part- flip them to quickly cook the other side (If you find a fool proof efficient method for this step- please let me know! I’ve tried everything down to chop sticks) OH and beware- they pop and can flip themselves back over at this step
5. Toss on some balsamic vinegar (to taste) and quickly stir around to coat and deglaze the pan and then enjoy!
Some additions to the sprouts to dress them up can be to saute some garlic in with them (careful not to burn) or off course crumbled bacon or pancetta, toasted pecans or walnuts and cheesed (preferably a salty one to counter the balsamic)
Give them a chance!
Has anyone else found a way to enjoy a veg with a bad rap?